Saturday 1 September 2012

David


David Live (2012)
David Bowie from the 1974 Diamond Dogs tour.
Pencil on Heavy Weight paper
2H, B, 2B, 4B & 6B
Paper Stump


I finally finished drawing this earlier today. It was originally meant to be in colour so I actually used the wrong paper, but I don't think it turned out too bad. (The paper is also too big to scan the picture properly, so the quality of this reproduction isn't as good as it could be.)

Aside from the fact that I'm a massive David Bowie fan, I do really like drawing him, there's a symmetry to his face which is pleasing to recreate. By that, I don't simply mean he's beautiful, he has a fantastic bone structure which is wonderful to draw. 

I've been drawing him since I became a fan 23 years ago, unfortunately I don't have a lot of what I drew years ago, (which included a massive drawing I did on one of the huge pieces of paper that separate layers of sugar in supermarkets!) At some point I'd like to do something which has a little more artistic licence to it, preferably in oils, but space is an issue so I'm a bit restricted with what I can actually do.

Anyway, here's some of the pictures I've done of David over the last few years.


Scary Monsters (2009)
Taken from the Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) photo shoot
Digital Drawing and Colouring 

This was originally a design I did for a mug, so I was trying to keep it very basic so that I could paint it onto a blank white ceramic surface. It worked too, I ended up with a colour and black and white version on the mug. Alas, the mug has faded but the digital design is still perfectly fine. 

I do want to re-visit this image though and do it in detail, it's such a great shot it deserves a little more time to be spent on it.


Super Creep (2010)
Taken from a photo shoot around 1995 (Outside era)
Pencil on Canson Bristol Board
5B, 4B, 2B, B, HB & 2H
Paper Stump

I drew this because I was trying to get used to drawing on Bristol Board, I really just wanted to practice shading techniques on the paper. It's not as detailed as I would have liked but it was a good exercise.

The Man Who Fell To Earth (2011)
Watercolour (on postcard)

Another experiment, I bought a brand new watercolour set so decided to copy the poster of the British release of The Man Who Fell To Earth. It's a straight copy, done purely to see whether or not I could handle the paints. Weirdly though, it's probably my favourite of all the Bowie images I've done. 

David Bowie (2012)
Image from The Man Who Fell To Earth
Watercolour (on postcard)

I painted this earlier this year, I really don't think it's that great but, it's notable because I had Bell's Palsy when I did it. I painted it wearing sunglasses because it's the only way I could really see to do anything. It also helped to relieve the extreme boredom of being ill with something so utterly annoying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment